Monday, April 4, 2011

Do you know what that's worth?

You ever make a dinner so good you wanted to run up and down the block and force complete strangers to taste it?

It was supposed to be Sunday dinner but pete's playdate kind of pushed back the plan and I shelved the steak for a later time. His cub scout meeting was cancelled so I found myself with some free time tonight to really lay out a good one.

Thank God for ribeye sales. Add some roasted garlic and herb potatoes and some oven roasted asparagus and it was YUM TIME.

I die.

I'd provide pics but I'm eating off paper plates in the lead up to the move and my dining room table is carefully decorated with moving boxes. Or something like that. What you don't know won't hurt you.

Wanna know how to make it?

It's simple. Buy yourself a couple nice thick with ribeyes or whatever cut of steak you prefer. Sprinkle on some kosher salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. I'd tell you how much but honestly, I really don't know. Go liberalish with the salt and pepper, lightish with the cumin and chili powder. Drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil. Heat up a grill pan nice and hot. Lay on the steaks. Be patient and let those bad boys cook without moving them. Flip. Finish cooking on the other side. If you like a well done steak, you'll probably need to drop the heat a couple notches once you get a good sear on the first side.

Remove steaks and set them on a plate or cutting board. Then pour in about a quarter cup or so of dry vermouth to the empty pan. Allow it to bubble for a few, swirling the pan to loosen the browned bits. Set aside. Slice up your steak and pour the vermouth and drippings over the whole shebang.

Try not to die.

As for the rest, I diced up red potatoes, yukon golds, and half a vidalia onion. I put it all in a ziplock bag and added minced garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a tsp each of basil, oregano, and tarragon. Shake it all up and pour out onto a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 425 until the potatoes are tender, about twenty minutes. Easy enough, right?

The asparagus is even simpler. To prep the asparagus, take a stalk and snap off the bottom end. About where it breaks is where you should slice the rest of them and throw out the bottoms. Soak in cold water for about 15 minutes. Remove from the water and spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss the asparagus then throw it in a 425 oven and roast until bright green and tender.

Ta-da!

Doesn't get much easier than that.

1 comment:

  1. Great. Now I'm craving steak at 7:20 am. :S
    But that steak does sound like heaven on earth! That's my only mission for today now: GET STEAK.
    Well, actually it's just EAT STEAK, but I've yet to figure out a way to make it just appear in my fridge... so to the store I go then. Worth it, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Made by Lena