Saturday, April 2, 2011

Giving it the best that I've got

As always happens with a new house, even a rental, I'm on a fresh decorating tear. I'm seeing everything with new eyes and loving the possibilities. It's hard to sleep I'm so full of ideas. I'd share them with you now but what would I have to write about?

So we'll take it one step at a time.


I thought Annabelle could use a friend. I picked up this oval shaped wreath of twisted branches from wallyworld for only three bucks. The silk flowers were collected from various craft stores/sections. Don't ask me what kind of flowers, except for the roses. I'm floral stupid. They looked pretty and coordinated with my colors. Good enough.

I spent the better part of a half hour snipping off all the little buds and leaves. Pete was nice enough to let me borrow his school scissors.



Using a hot glue gun, I wrapped some pale green grosgrain ribbon around the branches. After that, came the flowers. And then came my two girls, always ready for the camera. If I'm not careful, people will think I love the pinker more than the peteness. Truth is pinky loves to pose while pete's more of a behind the scenes kind of kid.


Pardon the mess. Moving and all that.

After the wreath came a few accent pieces I plan to use on the fireplace mantel. I used two styrofoam floral cones that I bought from Michael's. If you go that route, you'll have to use a low temp glue gun. If you go at it with a regular one, you'll melt the styrofoam into nothing. And trust me, it's not too good on the lungs.

Take your time and apply the glue over about an inch of the surface at a time. I glued the bigger flowers first then filled in the empty spaces with the smaller ones. Add a delicate butterfly or fashion a couple bows out of ribbon and glue them back to back on the top. Finish with a leftover flower and voila! Handmade home decor.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena